Follow Us    


Mail Login

 

     


 History:

 

 

 

 

     In the Mahabharata, Bankura was described as Suhmobhumi. Scholars differ in their opinion about the etymology of the name Bankura. In the words of the Kol-Mundas, orah or rah means habitation. Many places of Rarh are named with the added rah at the end of the name. One of the most influential Gods of the district Dharmathakur is called Bankura Roy. The name of the district may come from his name. Linguist Suniti Kumar Chatterjee thinks that the name came from the word Banka (zig-zag) and its word-corruption Banku, which means extremely beautiful, and he who must be worshiped. In 1979, the word “Bancoorah” was found in the map of Renal. In 1863, Gastrel referred this region as Bancoonda. Goddess Manasa, proves this opinion might have some relevance.

 

       Municipal Service for the people of Bankura was first introduced in the year 1865 when it was called as Bankura Municipal Committee. After  four years it turned as Bankura 

Municipality for better service to the civilian in the days of British Rule. Like other Municipal town there was a nominated Board of Commissioners at the earlier stage. Most of the nominated persons were high level govt. officers and the persons who were preferred by the British. After few decades the municipal rate payers elect their representatives by vote. Voting rights was limited only to the persons who pay tax to the municipality.  Election procedure changed by introducing adult franchise after few decades. In the year 1981 Voting rights offered to all,  attaining the age of eighteen years. Late Mr. W.S. Wells  was the first President of the Bankura Municipal Committee. Late  Harihar Mukhopadhyay, the first Indian, sat & lighted the Chair of the Chairman of this Municipality in the year 1885. At present Board of this municipality comprises with 23 elected councilors from 23 wards.

 

 


                  Bankura town, the district head quarter of Bankura is a settlement of historical, cultural and religious interests. The Bankura Municipality was constituted in 1865. The town is flanked by the rivers, Dwarakeswar & Gandheswari on the northen and southern sides respectively. Susunia hills, Mukutmonipur Dam on the river Kansabati & Kumari, Joyrambati & Bishnupur –the temple cities of Mallaraj are the famous historical, cultural and religious cities of tourists interest. Bankura town is the central place for visiting tourists. Bankura also played an important part in the commercial department of the East India Company. Besides, many an eminent personalities were born in the district namely the matheamatician Suibhankar, Sri Sri Ma Saradamoni, pioneer of Indian journalism, Sri Ramananda Chattapadhyay, famous artist sculptor Sri Ramananda Beij, Jamini Roy, the famous poet Chandidas. Bankura is proud of Achariya Jagadish Chandra Vidhyanidhi who resided here. Many of freedom fighter graced the chair of Bankura Municipality as Chairman/Councillor. This town has also been graced by the visits of our great National leaders-Mahatma Gandhi, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Desh Bandhu Chittaranjan Das Moulana Abul Kalam Ajad, Kaji Najrul Islam and Rabindra Nath Tagore. Rabindra Nath Tagore described Bankura as the true peaceful cultured village in character and loved to stay here with Chandidas, the famous poet of Bankura. The “Modern Review” and “Prabasi” the world famous journals were brought out by Sri Ramananda Chattapadhyay from this town. There are 16 High School, 3Degree colleges, one Medical Colleges, one Teachers Training College within this town. There is also an Engineering College in vicinity of the town. This town has a Rabindra Bhavan,a Town Hall and a District Library.

 

 

 

BANKURA MUNICIPALITY AT A GLANCE

 

 

 

1. Total area :19.06 Sq. km

 

 

2. No. of ward :23

 

 

3. Population (as per 2001 census report) :128781 nos.

 

 

4. Climate : Tropical, Dry and Sub-humid

 

 

5. Temperature between : 450 C (Max.) and 90 C (Min.)

 

 

6. Annual rainfall : 1420 mm

 

 

7. Sources of water ground water : River bed of Darakeswar and Gandheswari

 

 

8. Location : 23014/N-8704/E

 

9. Population density : 464/km2